Notes: [Califa The Age of Consent...]
1.Wolman, B.B., and J. Money, eds. Handbook of Human Sexuality, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. Inc., 1980, 20.
2. On April 26, 1980, CBS aired 'Gay Power, Gay Politics,” a schlockumentary anchored by Harry Reasoner which made San Francisco look as if it were run from behind the scenes by leathermen and drag queens. The report focused on the 1979 mayoral election and was especially derogatory in its treatment of Dianne Feinstein. Randy S hilts eventually managed to get the producer of the show, George Crile, and his associate, Grace Diekhaus, censured by the National News Council. My sarcastic remark about CBS in this essay was an attempt to remind readers that we could not trust CBS to tell the truth about child pornography any more than we could trust the netwrok to honestly depict the grassroots struggle to gain civil rights for gay men and women in San Francisco.
3. The Boston/Boise Committee was named in reference to a McCarthy-era roundup of gay men in Boise, Idaho. Dozens of lives were ruined by this witch-hunt. For more information, see the comprehensive book by former Time and Newsweek editor John Gerassi, The Boys of Boise: Furor; Vice and Folly in an American City, New York: MacMillan, 1955.
4. The Body Politic was busted in 1979 for obscenity after publishing Gerald Hannons article, "Men Loving Boys Loving Men" and found not guilty. But because Canada has no law against double jeopardy, the Crown filed for a new trial, This trial was still pending in 1980 when the entire collective was arrested again, this time for publishing "Lust with a Very Proper Stranger, an article about fisting by Angus MacKenzie. Eventually The Body Politic stopped publishing.
5. U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary, Sexual Exploitation of Children. Hearings before the Subcommittee on Crime, 95th Cong., 1st sess., May 23, 25, June 10, and September 20, 1977, Serial #12, 118-119.
6. Pan: A Magazine about Boy-Love, Vol. 1, No. 5, May 1980, 8.
7. House Committee, Sexual Exploitation of Children. 57.
8. "The Men Behind the Kidporn Industry." San Francisco Examiner; February 17, 1980, 13. ibid., 12.
9. Mitzel, John. "The Great Kiddie Porn Panic of 1977." NAMBLA Journal #3, 6-8.
10. Gay Community News, February 9, 1980, 3-8.
11. House Committee, Sexual Exploitation of Children, 49.
12. Pan: A Magazine About Boy-Love, Vol. 1, No. 2, August 1979, 24.
13. Komisar, Lucy. "The Mysterious Mistress of Odyssey House." New York, November 19, 1979, 43-50.
14. ibid., 46.
15. ibid., 47.
16. "The Battle-Line: Dr. Judianne Densen-Gerber as Witch of the Week. Pan: A Magazine about Boy-Love, Vol. 1, No. 3, November 1979, 28.
17. House Committee, Sexual Exploitation of Children, 43. ibid., 47.
18. "The Battle-Line: Dr. Judianne Densen-Gerber as Witch of the Week," 28.
19. Thorstad, David. Interview by Guy Hocquengheim in Semiotext(e) Special Large Type Series: Loving Boys, Summer 1980, 21.
20. House Committee, Sexual Exploitation of Children, 47
21. ibid., 51.
22. Prescott, James W, Ph.D. "Child Abuse in America: Slaughter of the Innocents." Hustler; no date available.
23. House Committee, Sexual Exploitation of Children, 45.
24. ibid., 51.
25. ibid., 40.