Ch 3 - Notes and References
7. See Kinsey, Sexual Behaviour in the Human Female, op. cit., p. 110. ^
11. Read this long footnote in a separate file.
14. D.W. Swanson, 'Who violates children sexually?' Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality, February 1971, pp.184-97. Some go further and suggest that the use of the word 'paedophile' could be confined to those for whom their love impulse towards children is of great importance. There is a school of thought in Holland which holds this position. Loes Rouweler-Wutz considered that 'Paedophilia is a human condition in which the feelings of attraction towards children, including sexual feelings, are so important to the individual involved that they determine his whole life' (from a thesis, 'Paedophiles in contact or conflict with society', Nijmegen, 1976, quoted in a paper, 'The legal status of the paedophile', by Edward Brongersma, presented to the Psychiatric-Juridical Society, Amsterdam, 1977).
19. W. Simon and J.H. Gagnon, On psychosexual development', in D. Goslin (ed.), Handbook of Theory and Research in Socialization, Rand McNally, Chicago, 1969. Anyone still in doubt should consult the following works listed in the Bibliography: Landis; Tolsma; West; the Speijer Report; Rainer et al.; Money and Tucker.
24. See especially M. Ingram, A study of 92 cases of sexual contact between adult and child', British Journal of Sexual Medicine, Vol. 6, No.44, January 1979, p. 22f (Part 1), and Vol. 6, No.45, February 1979, p. 24f (Part 2).
26. Results in any case need to be interpreted with caution. A Californian study reported in Mohr et al., op. cit., reported more disturbance among participant victims – but already 'disturbed' (possibly neglected) children may be more prone to seek out a relationship.
28. I think Ingram's point is not so much that the doctor's, 'buggery' was awful as an act, but that in the circumstances it was necessarily carried out formally, with cold, clinical indifference to the boy's feelings. While anal intercourse can itself be experienced as pleasant, within a loving relationship, a doctor's examination is scarcely likely to be so.
33. Read this long footnote in a separate file.